What are the benefits of using a rental company that participates in the ECRCS?

  • Rental companies must adheres to the Code of Best Practice which sets out the standards we expect.
  • You have the peace of mind that you are dealing with a reputable and trustworthy business and that, in the rare instance that you have a dispute which cannot be resolved directly with the trader, you have someone to turn to.
  • The ECRCS is free of charge for you to use.

How do I make a complaint?

The complaint must be submitted in writing, via our website. You have the facility to upload all evidence you wish to be considered.

The rental company cannot initiate a complaint against the customer.

What is an ADR service?

An ADR service is an impartial body that considers complaints about a variety of issues relating to organisations and businesses. Its role is to reach an outcome for both parties which is fair and reasonable as an alternative to going to court.

The ECRCS is approved by UK government as a Consumer ADR body under the Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumer Disputes (Competent Authorities and Information) Regulations 2015.

Can we deal with your dispute?

We are able to raise a case to help resolve your dispute, if:

  • Your complaint relates to a rental company participating in ECRCS


  • Your complaint involves a ‘cross-border’ rental transaction occurring within the European Union or UK - you must be a resident of the EU or UK and the rental must have taken place in a different EU country.


  • You have fully exhausted the rental company’s own internal complaints procedure and received their final decision. You need to contact us within 12 months of the rental company’s final response to your complaint.

What complaints can’t we deal with?

  • Complaints that are deemed to be frivolous or vexatious.
  • Complaints where court proceedings have already commenced, you have raised the matter with another ADR service or an investigation via your bank/credit card provider.
  • Complaints regarding a non-cross-border rental. If your complaint relates to a rental in your own country you should raise the matter through any local dispute resolution process that may exist.
  • We are not qualified to adjudicate on the repair method or cost of a repair to a vehicle.
  • The service does not award any compensation payment in relation to alleged financial losses, or inconvenience caused.

What happens if the company does not participate in ECRCS?

You may wish to contact the European Consumer Centres Network (ECC-Net) to get more information about your rights.

How will my dispute be handled?

Once we have received your case in writing via our website, we will:

  • Review your complaint – and get a response from the other party
  • Find out the facts, review the evidence provided by both parties and weigh everything up
  • Make a decision based on the Leaseurope Code Of Best Practice.
  • Tell you and the rental company what we think in writing, by email.

If we find in your favour, we will tell the rental company to put things right by refunding any unjustified charges incorrectly raised within 10 working days. The rental company must comply with the rulings of the ADR service.

There may be times where there just isn’t enough evidence for us to be able to make a fair decision or when we feel the resolution already offered by the member is fair and reasonable in the circumstances.

You don’t have to agree with what we say - at any point, you can let us know that you no longer want our help.

How long will it take to get a resolution to my case?

We aim to resolve complaints within 30 working days. For more complex cases it may take longer, however we will endeavour to keep you updated.

Can I withdraw from the procedure?

Yes, you can withdraw at any time.

Do I need a lawyer to represent me during the ADR process?

No. Our service is intended for use without legal representation; however, you may seek independent legal advice or be represented or assisted by a third party at any stage of the procedure. The outcome may be different if determined by a court.

Can I still go to court even though I have gone to the ECRCS with my dispute?

Yes. If you disagree with our final decision, you can still take your complaint to court.

Can I see the response from the rental company?

Yes, you can request the documents/evidence submitted by the rental company.

Can I appeal the ECRCS’s decision?

If the decision is found against you, we will close the file once the decision has been sent to both parties. No new evidence can be forwarded to the ADR service and there is no right of appeal by either party.

How do I contact the ECRCS?

Email: [email protected]

Post: ECRCS, River lodge, Badminton Court, Amersham, Buckinghamshire, HP7 0DD

What languages is your service available in?

The ADR service will respond in English, however you can correspond in any European language.